Having pets can make your home look like a hot mess! With all the furry fun comes a bit of cleanup. Because your team here at BetterVet knows that a clean home is a happy one, we have put together a list of cleaning tips and tricks to get rid of all of the messes that come with being a pet parent!
A Clean, Pet-Friendly Home
Pet fur is a notorious part of pet ownership, however, it doesn’t have to plague you and your home. Most pets, cats and dogs alike, shed, unless they have hypoallergenic hair or fur or are a hairless breed. Pets that shed will do so year round, however, there are periods of increased shedding that you should be aware of. For pets that shed seasonally, you'll notice that most shedding occurs in the spring and fall, or the transitional months. In the spring, your pet’s coat will become lighter, in preparation for the warm weather. Similarly, in the fall, in preparation for winter, you will see a change in your pet’s coat and a higher incidence of shedding. These two layers help to insulate your pet against the elements, and they even cool him or her down in hot weather by trapping cool air close to the skin. The double coat also has a waterproofing effect and this further helps regulate your furry friend’s temperature. Some breeds are “double coated,” or a type of coat that consists of two layers: a dense undercoat of short hairs that are coarser under a top coat of longer, softer hair. Some examples of double coated dog and cat breeds are: Ragdolls, Manx’s, and Persians. Examples of double coated dogs are: Corgis, Huskies, and Australian Shepherds. These breeds will shed slightly more than non-double coated breeds. However, not to worry, here are the best ways you can remove excess pet-hair from your home:
- Window Squeegees: can loosen stuck pet hair that resists vacuuming (on hard and soft surfaces)
- Damp Rubber Gloves: when you wear the gloves and rub your hands on your belongings, friction between the fabric and glove creates static energy that forces pet hair to stick to the glove
- Tape: works like a lint roller
- Anti-Static Spray: specifically for hard objects and furniture
- Regular Grooming: the best solution to pet hair is to brush your pet!
Accidents happen, but when our pets soil rugs, furniture and other household items, it can be frustrating! Thankfully, there are plenty of products and solutions to get rid of unwanted pet odors and mishaps. It is important to use pet-friendly cleaning products so that no toxic chemicals impact you or your furry companions.
- Detergent and Vinegar: mix two cups of warm water with one tablespoon of dish detergent and one tablespoon of white vinegar, then dip a sponge into the solution and gently blot the stain - repeat until the stain is gone
- Baking Soda and Vinegar: mix up a solution of 2 cups of vinegar, 2 cups of warm water and 4 tablespoons of baking soda and let sit on stain for 10 minutes
- A Pet-Friendly Stain Remover: non-toxic and pet-friendly are essential, some reputable brands are Nature’s Miracle and Earth Rated
Dirty Paws, Clean Floors
Our pet’s paws are very cute, albeit, they can track dirt and mud all over the house! Cats also can track litter around the floors after using the litter box. In order to prevent paw prints from decorating your floors, here are some tips:
- Place rags outside cat litter box like a doormat
- Rub down pet’s paws and legs when entering the home
- Use pet-friendly, non-toxic floor cleaner (Swiffer pet products are great!)
Pet’s smell like pets, and although this usually isn’t a bad thing, sometimes pet odors can get out of hand. Particularly in places where there is a litter box, potty pad, or after a day at the beach! Here are some ways you can freshen up your home:
- Wash bedding and pet toys frequently
- Baking soda is your best friend, it absorbs odors and is non-toxic
- Change air filters regularly
- Use candles and incense safely and with supervision
We love our pets and our homes wouldn’t feel like home without them. That being said, no one likes a mess! We hope these tips help freshen up your home so you can continue to enjoy quality time with your best friend.